Search this blog

Sunday, May 20, 2012

UGB Authorities Lodges Complaint after Controller's Office was Ransacked

MALDA, 26 APRIL: University of Gour Banga (UGB) finally lodged a written complaint with police after the varsity came under students’ wrath yet again and the office of the controller of examinations (COE) was ransacked. University officials were assaulted and police came to control the situation. All this took place on the issue of delay of result of Part-1 and Part-2. The varsity authorities sat for an emergency meeting to contemplate the legal proceedings and eventually lodged a police complaint. 

A group of students—15-20 in all from Malda College came to UGB campus yesterday. They identified themselves as 3rd year students and claimed that they had applied for reassessing their results in the previous academic session. But with five months passed by, the result was yet to reach them. In this situation they were uncertain about their future courses. The students, with no political affiliation, raised slogans against the university. They rammed into the room of Rajat Kishor De, officiating COE and ransacked his office.  Window panes were broken, important papers were destroyed. When Sadhan Saha, deputy COE came to rescue Mr De, he was also assaulted. The room was locked from outside. 

 Police from English Bazaar Police Station reached the university and controlled the situation. University Registrar SS Bairagya said, “It is true that there was some delay in the reassessment. However, we had sent it to the colleges about seven days back. But the most of the results were unchanged. There was no question of sending mark sheets. Still the students in the name of agitation resorted to vandalism which cannot be tolerated.”  It is learnt that University authority had decided to lodge a complaint to police against the unidentified students. 

Meanwhile, both the CPI-M affiliate SFI and the Congress affiliate CP criticized the students for the turmoil and assault but never forgot to accuse the University for the delay in publication of result. Animesh Sinha of SFI said, “None of the students belonged to our organization, and we never support such vandalism in the campus. But the university did the blunder in results with so many flaws which has left the students to acute crisis.” Prasenjit Das of Chhatra Parishad too echoed Mr Sinha saying, “The students of GBU are facing crisis with their future. Today’s outburst was an expression of that uncertainty. But we never endorse such action of the students.”

No comments:

Post a Comment