Search this blog

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Allegations of Admitting Student Flouting Merit List against UGB VC


Malda, November 2, 2012: An ‘unprecedented’ allegation of approving a prayer for admission flouting the merit list and depriving at least 13 including eight minority candidates has been raised against the Vice Chancellor (VC) of University of Gour Banga (UGB). While the VC claimed innocence of the matter, sensation has been created as students and academicians consider the matter as a gross violation of the state government’s policy of maintaining absolute transparency in the admission process in the varsity. University council (UC) of the UGB would also deal the matter strictly, informed a UC member.

As per the direction of the state government UGB authority also, like other universities, admitted 60 percent students from colleges under them into post graduate courses while the remaining 40 percent students were admitted from other universities through admission test by concerned departments.

Department of education of UGB held the admission test of 50 marks for admitting 28 other varsity students on 10 October and published the merit list on 16 October. 21 students as per the merit list were already admitted against general category from other universities.

But one Sarbani Basu who ranked 35th scoring only 18.5 made an application to the UGB registrar in charge on 17 October praying for her admission. The registrar in charge and finance officer of UGB Jahir Hossain instead of turning down such a surprising appeal allegedly forwarded the application to the convener of the admission committee Prof Bikash Roy who again forwarded the application to the departmental head Dr SS Bairagya.


Sources informed that Dr Bairagya and other teachers of the department sought the approval of the authority for such an admission as there were many other candidates scoring higher than Ms Basu in admission test.

The application when sent to the VC Prof Acintya Biswas, he allegedly approved the prayer and asked to take necessary action.

Questions are being raised about the role of Prof Biswas in issuing such an order to admit a student flouting merit list ‘deliberately.’ The way the entire episode was hurriedly accomplished on a single day also raised eyebrows of academicians.

CPI-M’s students’ organization SFI already opposed the ‘unprecedented’ admission. District SFI secretary Abhijit Dey said, “Soon after we learnt about the alarming allegation, we tried to meet the VC. But Prof Biswas refused to meet us. We submitted the complaint to the officiating registrar Dr Madhab Adhikary and soon we would take the issue to the street.”

Jahir Hossain, who is accused of playing a proactive role in forwarding the application to the admission convener, said, “I just acted as I was supposed to.” He vehemently denied that he had any connection with the issue of the admission.

VC Prof Biswas said to media, “I know nothing in this regard.” But surprisingly officiating registrar Dr Adhikary said, “We received the allegation and VC has been informed in due course.”

Dr Bairagya said, “We admitted the girl as I was authorized by my authority.”

Senior UC member of UGB Prof Dulal Ghosh said, “Such admission is illegal, unethical and not approved by UGB act. VC Prof Biswas flouted norms even before also many times. The state higher education department must take it seriously.” “We would discuss the matter in the UC also and see how it was made," Prof Ghosh added.

No comments:

Post a Comment