Search this blog

Friday, October 10, 2014

Snake bite kills two of same family, negligence in treatment alleged

Malda, 10 October, 2014: A woman and her granddaughter died of snake bite at Kheria village od Sripur I gram panchayat in Ratua police station on Friday morning. However, family of the deceased alleged that negligence of Malda Medical College Hospital (MMCH) authorities in injecting anti-venom resulted in the death of the duo.

Police sources informed that Akhtara Bibi (50) and her granddaughter Khairunnesa (10) were sleeping on the same bed on Thursday night when a poisonous snake bit them. Akhtara Bibi’s husband Hefjur Rahman said that all rushed to their room and found Akhtara and Khairunnesa were writhing and screaming under the effect of poison.

The snake that kills two lives caught in Ratua (Photo: VoM)


With the help of the neighbours the snake-bite victims were rushed to MMCH at night only. The snake was caught too. But Rahman alleged that anti-venom was not instilled into his wife and granddaughter on urgent basis that resulted in the death of the duo.

MMCH vice principal and medical super Dr MA Rashis however denied the allegation. “The snake-bite victims were brought to hospital late and they were in vulnerable condition. Hence, despite the proper treatment the duo could not be survived,” Dr Rashid said. 

No comments:

Post a Comment