Search this blog

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Cop officer thrashed again in Harischandrapur after death of trader in road accident

Malda, 24 February, 2015: Harischandrapur police faced the fury of an excited mob once again in last 24 hours when the inspector in charge (IC) Babin Mukherjee was roughed up allegedly by the villagers of Bottoli village who were demonstrating to protest against the accidental death of a businessman Mir Khalil (39). A large contingent of police and RAF led by sub divisional police officer (SDPO) Kaustuvdipta Acharya had to rush to the spot to rescue the IC from the clutch of the infuriated mob.

IC Babin Mukherjee after being manhandled by mob on Tuesday (Photo: Sudip Roy Choudhury)
Road-blockade by mob in Harischandrapur on Tuesday (Photo: VoM)
It has been learnt from police sources that Khalil was knocked down by a speeding lorry and died on spot while he was going to Harischandrapur market by his two-wheeler around 8 am today. After the lorry overturned following the accident, the driver and helper allegedly tried to flee. However, some labourers working there grabbed them and locked up in a room.

Meanwhile, hundreds of villagers gathered at the spot and blocked the NH-81 with the body of the dead trader. A large contingent of police led by Mr Mukherjee reached the spot to lift the blockade. But soon a tiff followed between police and the obstinate mob who refused to lift the blockade.

Clash between mob and police in Harischandrapur on Tuesday (Photo: Sudip Roy Choudhury)
It was then punches were showered on IC Mr Mukherjee from the crowd. The mob by then arranged bamboos and other weapons to fight against the police personnel. Another team of police rushed to rescue Mr Mukherjee but they were allegedly humiliated too. Later, SDPO Mr Acharjee with police and RAF went to the spot and reportedly after mild baton charge rescued the police personnel.

The villagers alleged that instead of showing any sympathy the IC rudely behaved with them.

Additional SP Abhishek Modi said, “The body of the businessman was sent for post mortem. Action would be taken against those who manhandled the police.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment